Wednesday 24 March 2021

Chapter 12. The Red Cross

 My Grandmother registered to volunteer with the Red Cross in 1915 [see chapter 2]

I have decided to represent the Red Cross with a repeated simple cross shape composed of a commercial red felt to which I've added  further texture and colour with  painted Bondaweb. I then  drew on past ideas explored in Module One chapter 11 of my Embroidery Certificate to find ways of  presenting the cross shapes.



 I'm impressed by the row of nurses lined up in the clinic background resplendent in their uniforms with aprons displaying the red cross. For this reason I felt this block of the cross shapes creates a pleasing balance in the space adjacent to the clinic setting whilst picking up on the colours throughout the piece especially those featured within the cascade of poppies. At first I felt the cross patterning may be too dark in it's association with death but the Red Cross has such a good strong presence for good that this worry was dispelled. 



  I also have a Red Cross button to place but I feel this may be a later addition depending on composition and balance of the overall result.




No comments:

Post a Comment