For this chapter I have to demonstrate how some of the techniques I’ve learnt in previous chapters of this module can be brought together in an experimental way. I need to focus on two or more of those techniques. The idea is to have fun trying these out and to be inventive
It helped me to make up a composite sheet of the elements which have inspired me:
I made a series of window shapes and laid them over some of my design samples [refer back to text on first page].
Here are a selection:
Using coloured papers I looked at some simple design elements including shape, tonal value, and contrasts. All of these involve the principles of the Fibonnacci Sequence:
Having looked at these elements I am ready to start on my Resolved Sample on a chosen design based on movement.
This is to be interpreted by building up layers and considering design elements. Sian’s guidelines in the module are for our guidance only and we’re encouraged to be inventive with our own ideas
Layer one – dyed coloured fabrics
Layer two – Bonded shapes, fabric segments, trapped threads onto coloured fabrics
Layer three – Stitchery by machine or hand
Layer four – Added relief shapes, cords, toggles, button shapes, and beads
*Please note that from here on I’ve added a photograph from my computer to accompany images on the scanned pages of my sketchbook as my printed images have been disappointing on this occasion
Research into fish shapes:
I played around with ideas for fish in ripple pattern and decided upon my own fish shape:
Fish and Fibonnacci, I wanted to see if my fish could be presented according to the Fibonnacci Golden Section:
At this point I attended the Distant Stitch Summer School and presented my ideas as they were at this stage to Sian in a much valued tutorial. the pages from my sketch book give details of the work which has followed:
The photos above are pale because I’d overlaid some clear plastic which has affected the quality.
At this stage in the process I faced a quandary and felt concerned that although I loved the design elements I’d created I wondered if they worked together. I e-mailed Sian for her advice [see below]. Should I consider splitting the images into the big fish with spiral petals background or the smaller fish over the monoprinted spirals – both images above.
Sian replied requesting that I update my blog to assist her review of my work. This has been a great help as I’ve been able to clarify my thoughts as I blogged.
I also spoke to my husband who gave his honest critique! I met with friends in my stitching group which gave me a chance to step away for a while! Their comments were also helpful and we discussed ways of making links between the two sides of the work.
I therefore came to some conclusions and await Sian’s review which I’ve noted below
Unfinished but with some spiral clips added for the effect to demonstrate their effect. The large fish haven’t yet been stitched in place whilst I consider options.