Friday 6 September 2013

Chapter 3. Fabrics and threads

In this chapter I have to sort out my fabrics, threads and other items such as buttons, beads and sequins etc. according to my chosen colour scheme. I started with what I had in store  before dyeing and monoprinting more of my own.

I’ve photographed pages of my sketch book showing my work and have posted them here in order

I started by sorting out the various types of fabrics I had already in my studio in my colour scheme:

035

And then my threads, buttons and beads. I also coloured various other items using silk paint to give an interesting range of effects:

033

I needed to produce a batch of fabrics in analagous colours in each of the colours I’d chosen earlier and then another with the colours mixed to give a more diverse range:

032

The dyeing processes:

031

029

I then selected some of my dyed fabrics for monoprinting:

028

Some further monoprinting effects / experiments:

026

Pressed flowers fused to a dyed fabric with Bondaweb:

037

I will go on to make up some more dyed and monoprinted fabrics and to produce more effects especially using fabrics in colours not in my colour scheme to see how they take up the dyes.

I’ve also started stitching into some dyed fabric with my dyed threads for ch. 4 – it’s magical as all the colours are beautifully harmonious / vibrant. I’m very moved by colour so this is particularly exciting for me…………

3 comments:

  1. These are lovely colours Carrie, and I love your use of pressed flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be as organised as you Carrie. Your explanation of your dyeing and monoprinting is beautifully clear (and great results!) I love your dried flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years in the NHS Catherine writing reports!! Not for much longer as I'm planning to retire in March - so excited!

      Delete