Wednesday 6 January 2021

A weekend with The Stitched Textile Group led by textile artist and tutor Sian Martin

 The weekend was scheduled to take place at The Ammerdown Centre in Somerset but we were restricted by the country's second national lockdown so we enjoyed a weekend of Zoom sessions with Sian at the helm!

The weekend was entitled 'RESPONDING' looking at ways of exploring ways in which drawings and design ideas could be resolved into textile methods.

I knew I wanted to develop my ideas for my 1914 project ,

We were invited to bring with us some drawings or design ideas of our own.

Thinking of simple drawings I felt the humble oak leaf was important,  I experimented with a simple line drawing and then folding my paper concertina style and drawing over the folds which when opened revealed exciting new shapes


I also love this monoprint as a design idea:



During our first session Sian invited us to make a few marks straight onto a piece of fabric which we felt related to our theme.

We were also encouraged to consider two words which we felt related to our theme, for me the words SHAPE and OUTLINE were resonant.





And then to experiment with fabric manipulation methods still keeping our key words at the centre of our processes.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment