Wednesday 24 March 2021

The addition of text.

 The oak tree symbolises ENDURANCE AND STRENGTH so these words seemed essential. 

I have added COMPASSION AND CAMARADARIE as two words I feel to be relevant to nursing and  which I feel are portrayed so beautifully by the Red Cross nurses I have embroidered for this piece of work.  Neither of them are my Grandmother but two young women of the same era sourced from the Red Cross website but who would have served in the same way with the same inherent qualities to nurture and care for others. 

Other words which come to mind are COURAGE, FORTITUDE, PATIENCE and GRATITUDE. These are the words most frequently used by the soldiers as they expressed thanks to my Grandmother. 

The words are stitched in free machined straight stitch on a strip of calico which has been carefully measured out as per the diagram below. Sadly I couldn't fit all the words in at present but this is work in progress and will evolve so I'm looking for ways to include these to their best advantage. At the moment I've added patience and gratitude.

Of course it was important to add the date.


This is my work thus far :


I


No comments:

Post a Comment