Wednesday 20 September 2017

Chapter 5 Quilting techniques


Quilting techniques involve layers of fabric with padding  placed below the top surface, stitching is added to hold the layers in place. This chapter looks at the wadded, shaped, padded and corded methods of quilting.

I've worked with some traditional methods of quilting in the past but have been fascinated by the experimental samples with unconventional fillings and padding used here.

I've uploaded my sketchbook pages starting with the wadded technique. I've started by using conventional methods and then moved onto more experimental materials in later samples .

Wadded method:












 I used the strips of fabric at random as wadding, I love the unfinished edges.


You can just make out the small circular shapes of the waste from my paper hole puncher here!


I think this feathered filling below is my favourite, I love the swirling effect of the feathers and the soft tonal qualities.
Sample 10, however, is taken from another piece of work completed some time ago but I felt it could be really useful - especially as a possible interpretation of the 'ivy clad ditch' in chapter 3 sample 5.



Shaped quilting:

This involves two layers of fabric with the shapes placed upon the backing fabric [ I used a little glue to keep them in place] before adding the top layer of fabric and carefully adding the stitching.

We were encouraged to try out different top fabrics and fillings for interesting results, especially see through top layers revealing the unusual fillings beneath!



Padded quilting:

 Padded quilting is comprised of a top and backing fabric which are stitched together first and the padding added afterwards through the back layer. To achieve this a slit is made within the stitched shape, the padding inserted and the slit slip stitched back in place.
It was fun trying out various shapes and unusual paddings. 



This piece of trapunto was completed previously, I apologise for the pink but I thought it was a lovely example.



Corded quilting

I tried some by hand - using back stitch either side of the cord, I especially love the effect of the sugar puff voille and the beads!  The others are by machine using straight stitch and a double needle was used for sample 4 which seemed to have a life of its own as it sprung to life! The backs views were good too especially sample 1!


Back views:








No comments:

Post a Comment