Wednesday 15 August 2018

Chapter 11 continued

I have decided to add a few more experiments using textural surfaces before I proceed with the next chapter and my resolved sample.

Grasses
These are the beautiful grasses seen earlier. Sian suggested that these could be sub-divided in their own right. They certainly lend themselves to making interesting shapes.



Teasels
More wonderful teasels, I'm very pleased with these.
This time I've used bleach on Quink ink - one of my favourite techniques. I have dragged a seed head which has been dipped in Quink to give these fabulous patterns and then added the dried leaves and seeds to give added texture. I love the energy generated here. Lots of opportunities for tucks and pleats, chain and fly stitching.



Ivy clad ditch
The surround is comprised of a leaf monoprint but again the relief textures bring added energy so I'm intrigued. The texture is provided by dried garlic peelings in the centre, and dried rose petals to the left and right both of which have been painted with white acrylic paint. Lots of opportunities here for stitching and fabric manipulation; I can see Fly Stitch, gathering techniques, N American Smocking.



Ivy Stick in Undergrowth
The addition of a different patterned paper [rubbed coral reef fossil] along the top adds energy alongside the relief strips [dried rose petals and garlic peelings] and the leaf monoprint along the bottom. I can see gathering, N American smocking, Fly Stitch.



Cow parsley
I adore cow parsley but I felt this lacked energy despite the relief surface [hole puncher waste and hollyhock seeds]. The background is a simple monoprint with the addition of a rubbing using hole puncher waste.

I therefore decided to change the background and went for a different patterned paper - a leaf print to offer more contrast to the cow parsley 'florets'. Here it is! The frothiness I've been looking for. Now I'm excited!
I've experimented more with the 'florets' using printed cork and biro ends to the left, painted hollyhock seeds to the right and hole punch waste at the top.
Lots of opportunities for stitching maybe woven wheels and knots plus fabric manipulation using samples 8.4 and 5.


I took this chapter to Summer School to show to my tutor Sian and fellow students as I paused to think and decide on the way forward. 
I have now worked samples for the Cow Parsley idea as a resolved sample and will post tomorrow.
Another day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment