Friday 3 January 2020

Chapter 8. Research for a conservation theme.

The first part of this module has been about studying the colour and textural effects of water and sky. The next few chapters will now prepare me for the study of a theme related to water, sky or both whilst looking at the development of designs and compositions based on the theme for the resulting wall hanging.
A simple sea or skyscape is not the intention but a theme or story line from which I will develop a design. With this in mind so I have selected a theme relating to the wind farm situated off the coast of Brighton and Hove.
The ideas generated from this chapter will give me the shapes I need to enable me bring together a composition.


I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the first half of this module, I've taken time to explore and experiment with the colours and textural effects of water and sky. I feel especially lucky as I live on the south coast in Brighton. The sea and sky here are forever changing from calm and tranquil to tumultuous and powerful. I love looking at the sea and its mesmerising beauty. The recent winter storms raged with huge waves crashing against the sea wall displacing shingle from the beach to cover the Promenade. Such was the power in force.





By contrast we have since enjoyed some beautifully clear and calm wintry days with tranquil seas and clear views across the horizon bringing us magnificent sunsets.





Looking out to sea on clear day can also bring us a different vista altogether and serves to remind us of our planet’s vulnerability and how this force of nature is being harnessed to contribute in the fight against climate change. It is often possible to see The Rampion Wind Farm on the horizon if you look closely on a calm day.




I’ve always loved the wind, it makes me feel so alive and conjures up many emotions in me. We cannot see the wind - only it’s effects and looking out to sea and witnessing the combined powers of sea, sky and wind has brought me to the conclusion that this will provide an exciting basis for my conservation theme.
Acknowledging that a simple seascape design is not the intention for this module I feel that this set of ideas will come together well as a collection of shapes to form the composition required.

I therefore started to investigate the Rampion Wind Farm. Their website states that a significant amount of power will be provided from a clean, green and renewable energy source which will contribute to the fight against climate change. It goes on to say that every unit of electricity generated from the wind saves a unit generated by fossil fuels thus reducing emissions of greenhouse gases as well as the UK’s reliance on international supplies of coal, gas and oil.
It is estimated that the project could avoid the emission of almost 600,000 tonnes CO2 per year which would otherwise have been released through fossil fuelled power generation. [https:///www.rampionoffshore.co./environment/benefits/


My visual reference

My final wall hanging will therefore not be pictorial or realistic but a simple pattern design based on elements of my research. I have therefore collected a display of images, photographs, artworks to inspire ideas and kick start my design:

8.1




Verbal information

Shapes, colours and textures are relatively easy to translate into design work but words can add an abstract element:

8.2




I also realised that a certain song was repeating in my head as I worked, in fact I’d been humming it for days!

‘Oh, the answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind’,
this must surely have been telling me something! Written by Bob Dylan in 1962

Click on the link to enjoy Bob Dylan singing this iconic song.


I searched for other relevant songs or poems such as I am the wind that blows upon the sea by Amairgen, first Druid of the Gaels in Ireland as recorded in the Irish book of invasions 11th century
https://sites.google.com/site/jerryealbert/Home/i-am-the-wind-that-blows-across-the-sea

I am the wind that blows across the Sea;
   I am the Wave of the Ocean;
I am the Murmur of the Billows;
   I am the Bull of the Seven Combats;
I am the Vulture on the rock;
   I am a Ray of the Sun;
I am the Fairest of Flowers;
  I am a Wild Board in Valour;
I am a Salmon in the Pool;
   I am a Lake on the Plain;
I am the Skill of the Craftsman;
   I am a Word of Science;
I am the Spear-point that gives Battle;
   I am the god who creates
in the head of man the Fire of Thought

I added some of the words collected and selected lyrics to my pin board to add more abstract meaning.

Drawings

The next step was to make drawings inspired by the visual information I’ve collected to record shapes, patterns, textures and colour.
I made some quick drawings to interpret some of my visual information  using paper cut outs of both turbine shapes and spirals shapes cut from a background of wax resist and Inktense sticks to which I've added water to intensify.
The upper spirals are a further combination of wax resists and Inktense crayons.
Pencil and crayon in middle background.

8.3



Design exercise

The brief was to select a few words from the following list:

bend combined compressed conflicting confused controlled crushed enclosed entwined enveloped expelled fast frenzied gentle imprisoned married peaceful quiet restful rhythmical separated soft 
suppressed vigorous

Then to form simple compositions from small pieces of black paper [4cms x 4cms] by cutting, ripping, manipulation with glue and sticking down to interpret meaning of my chosen words either in 2 dimensional form or in low relief.

8.4.1 and 8.4.2


8.4.3 and 8.4.4


8.4.5 and 8.4.6   I then used some words of my own relating to my conservation theme: 



8.4.7 and 8.4.8




8.4.9 and 8.4.10

8.4.11 and 8.4.12

8.4.13 and 8.4.14





8.4.15 and 8.4.16


8.4.17 and 8.4.18




The next task was to re-work the compositions using the coloured papers [15 x 20cms] selected in earlier chapters. I've selected just a few.

8.4.9 re-worked:



8.4.10 re-worked:



8.4.11 reworked:



8.4.13 reworked


8.4.14 reworked


8.4.16 reworked


8.4.17 reworked


8.4.18 reworked




Further selection of 3 designs to take forward. These are enlarged versions [A3] using decorated sheets of paper appropriate to my conservation theme.

Decorated papers are covered in chapter 9..............


















No comments:

Post a Comment