Thursday 5 November 2020

Chapter 4. My Grandmother's embroideries. Colour scheme and verbal prompts for design.

 My Grandmother's embroideries are scattered around my mother's cottage in Somerset, these are made up of tablecloths which were fashionable in her day plus beautiful tapestries either framed as pictures or made into dining room chair covers. Obviously these are not available for me to use but they photographed well:



I really admire the floral arrangement in the top left hand corner but particularly love the one below it.In fact I decided to base my choice of colour scheme on this embroidery picking out the red and green as I felt they would reflect the colours of the Red Cross, nurses uniforms and the oak leaves. 

Red and green are opposites on the colour wheel and will, therefore create  a beautiful vibrancy. Red is also, of course, the colour of the poppy, such a powerful symbol of the battlefield. Red is also the colour associated with love and passion, strength and hatred whilst green is the colour of nature, peace, tranquility and hope. Many contrasts and paradoxical meanings which give way to powerful emotions.

Looking at colour symbolism led me onto considering verbal prompts associated with the project:




No comments:

Post a Comment