Friday 6 November 2020

Chapter 7 The transfer of photographs onto fabric

 I knew I wanted to use some of the photos in the final textile piece but needed to find a way of transferring them onto fabric to facilitate resilience for stitching. 

I have experimented with freezer paper and have been delighted with the results.

Freezer paper is easy to come by on line, it's cheap and easy to use. 

The paper is plastic coated. I simply ironed the plastic coated side to a piece of fabric which has been cut slightly larger than A4. I keep an old iron specifically for such jobs and use baking parchment to protect it. I then trimmed the paper /fabric to A4 size to fit my Inkjet printer, selected the image to be printed from my computer files and taking care to place the fabric the right way up pressed print and looked on in wonder as my image emerged on fabric!

The results:

 The clinic for soldiers printed onto calico:



The autograph book inside cover with it's beautiful leaf patterns printed on calico:




An example of one the autograph book pages with a soldier's entry printed on calico:



One of my Grandmother's embroideries printed on scrim:


I'd like to develop ideas to incorporate these images within a fabric collage using stitch and textural effects.
I love the embroidered image on scrim and would like to experiment to hand stitch into this. This piece defined my red / green colour scheme, so beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment